Recently on Instagram, I asked people to post their ideas of movement for a chance to win Top Five Quick Movement Ideas From Internal Balance. I had such fun making this list that I thought I would share with everyone. Enjoy your movement and remember to have Fun!
Top Five Quick Movement Ideas From Internal Balance
The brain functions better with increased blood flow. It takes only one to two minutes of movement after a period of rest to increase energy and motivation.
1. Butterfly cross over breath
- Stand with feet hip distance apart and arms out at shoulder height
- Exhale and lift left knee to right elbow
- Return to starting position while inhaling
- Exhale and lift right knee to left elbow
- Repeat for desire amount of time and can be done faster for more intensity
- Any exercise that involves crossing over the midline stimulates the brain and encourages right and left-brain communication.
2. Hallelujah (best done in a group, flash mob style or totally on your own;)
- Swing arms to the right above the head while side stepping to the right and crossing left foot behind right.
- Swing arms to the left above the head while side stepping to the left while crossing right foot behind left.
- Yell hallelujah with each side change or just focus on breath
- Can be done faster for more intensity as well as with arms down moving side to side, speed skater style
- Any exercise that also makes you smile has double the benefits for increasing energy, positive mood and endorphins
3. Forward fold
- Deep breath in while raising arms up to the sky
- Exhale and bend forward, bringing hands towards the floor
- Can have legs straight or slightly bent but do not lock your knees
- Inhale as you roll up slowly
- Try shift weight from one foot to the other while in forward fold to add movement to the backs of the legs
- Forward fold can bring blood supply back to the brain and stimulate clear thinking
4. Raise the roof
- March on the spot
- Push palms up towards the roof from resting on top of shoulders
- You can make this hard by marching faster or lifting knees higher
- For added challenge, hold on to a water bottle or another light object in your hands while raising the roof
- Double the benefits with a smile
5. Alternating kicks
- Alternate right leg kick then left leg kick
- Can add alternate arm punches at the same time (right kick with left punch)
- If space allows, you can try kicking out to the side but watch that you are using leg muscle not overusing back muscles. Be aware of the messages that your body is sending you
- Challenging yourself with coordinated movements with right and left side of the body can wake up the brain